Open the left

Adups - spyware or harmless?

[Copy link]
heavyload Post time 2016-11-27 05:51:22 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Vernee, comment please! Wenn don't like spyware!
Quick navigation :
Report your problem of using vernee smartphone here
THOR BUG phone posts
TipsForum community will not offer after sale service . any after sale service request, please contact the reseller for immediate help .Thanks.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Bastien Post time 2016-11-28 11:23:00 | Show all posts
After check with vernee , their system is solid !
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts
TipsForum community will not offer after sale service . any after sale service request, please contact the reseller for immediate help .Thanks.

Use magic Report

gedrox Post time 2016-11-28 16:50:07 | Show all posts
Will there be an OTA update which removes this spyware?
BTW, my plans upgrading to Mars have changed after these shocking news. Will switch back to Sony or some Nexus...
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Regnodulous Post time 2016-11-28 21:07:38 | Show all posts
Guys can anyone confirm what version of the Adups software is running on the Thor. The version on the Apollo lite is 4.3 which apparently is not affected by the "issue". If UsedBytes Thor phone is also running 4.3 but he/she has seen the issue then that would however, contradict the limited advice I've already found on the net. As a precaution I've disabled the software anyway but it would be good to know...
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Author| Sammy Post time 2016-11-28 21:51:00 | Show all posts
Edited by Sammy at 2016-11-28 22:46

On my Thor (6th OTA firmware):
AdupsFota.apk - 4.3.0.0.0
AdupsFotaReboot.apk - 4.3.2

I've used the FX file explorer at system/app/AdupsFota/AdupsFota.apk -> long click > "details" to have a look.

I don't know if this is clean or contains spyware (I can't analyze traffic), but usedbytes' findings sound suspicious to me. So I'll leave Adups disabled until we know more.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

joe Post time 2016-12-03 13:38:29 | Show all posts
Edited by joe at 2016-12-03 13:47

oh my god , i checked my thor have adups , i been used  Debloater  locked AdupsFota , AdupsFotaReboot but can't select  OTA autoupdate now

this remove or fix must vernee them Engineers to do this ,  user nothing to do , just only  lock  this two file
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Author| Sammy Post time 2016-12-03 16:48:42 | Show all posts
If Vernee releases another firmware update (the last one was the 6th update from October, I believe), and you want to install it, you either have to enable Adups again if you want to make use of the OTA autoupdate process it provides, or leave it disabled and install the firmware update manually.

Unfortunately Vernee still has not released a statement yet - we don't even know for sure if our Adups versions are clean or do contain spyware.
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

usedbytes Post time 2016-12-04 22:23:13 | Show all posts
My Thor was up to date with the latest OTA - not sure what versions the .apks are - I've removed them from the phone (still have copies) but not sure how to check the version.

If anyone is interested in checking their own phones, I used an app called tPacketCapture (free version) to capture all the network traffic, then viewed that log in Wireshark. I can provide more detailed instructions if someone wants.

I rooted my Thor, removed the packages and put firewall rules in-place just to be sure. For rooting I used the details from xda-developers; Google "Vernee THOR Development & Support." It took a little trial-and-error, but it seems like the Mediatek flashing tool means hard-bricking your device should be pretty hard. Obviously attempt it at your own risk :-)
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Bogey Post time 2016-12-06 21:34:06 | Show all posts
My phone today automatically installed this without any interaction.
"Patch Tools"
com.adups.patch

From play store it does not find anything:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adups.patch

Does this patch fix the spying or what?
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Bogey Post time 2016-12-08 00:06:03 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Installed this and it says adups is up to date http://www.adups.com/template/fota_en/user.html
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules