Open the left

Adups - spyware or harmless?

[Copy link]
 Author| Sammy Post time 2016-12-08 09:05:18 | Show all posts
Interesting... can you see which Adups version is on your phone now?

Is it still 4.3.0 or do you have a newer one?

I've used the FX file explorer to look at the version number of the apk, but on the Apollo Lite forum somebody posted how to do it without any additional apps:

head to Settings in your App Drawer. Scroll down and hit "Apps" in the Settings menu.

Once inside, select the Menu icon in the upper right-hand corner. Click "Show system", then scroll down and select "Wireless Update."

There, you can check which Wireless Update you're running.

(I'm not sure if "Wireless Update" is the exact name or if it's called something else like "Adups Wireless Update" or whatever)
Quick navigation :
Report your problem of using vernee smartphone here
THOR BUG phone posts
TipsForum community will not offer after sale service . any after sale service request, please contact the reseller for immediate help .Thanks.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

erfae Post time 2016-12-08 16:17:28 | Show all posts
I have analyzed the system deeply, and I have to say that there is no spyware. It is true that this practice was very common in terminals with Android Kitkat, but this is not the case. Thor is a clean malware terminal with a multitude of third-party development that optimizes the system. I think this news only alarms people and does not make sense.
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts
TipsForum community will not offer after sale service . any after sale service request, please contact the reseller for immediate help .Thanks.

Use magic Report

Dempsey Post time 2016-12-08 16:22:39 | Show all posts
I have analyzed the system deeply, and I have to say that there is no spyware. It is true that this practice was very common in terminals with Android Kitkat, but this is not the case. Thor is a clean malware terminal with a multitude of third-party development that optimizes the system. I think this news only alarms people and does not make sense.
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Regnodulous Post time 2016-12-09 08:38:48 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Dempsey - what sort of drugs are you on? Adups openly admit on their own website that they have committed a serious data breach. Vernee have yet to release any kind of statement and it's a known fact we have adups software on the phone. Other users on the thor forum have done packet captures and allegedly recorded the adups software sending data to China. The only positive note and I mean the only one is that it is possible that the version of the adups software we are running predates the inclusion of spyware and yet Vernee still haven't confirmed or denied this. Hope that makes sense for you
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Regnodulous Post time 2016-12-09 08:40:00 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Ps why do you have both a thor and an Apollo Lite. That's a bit unusual isn't it? Are you just a really big fan or do you work for Vernee?
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Author| Sammy Post time 2016-12-11 05:54:35 | Show all posts
Edited by Sammy at 2016-12-11 06:23

Changed the title a bit to better reflect that we're not totally sure what's going on.

Malwarebytes said their scan software detects an older Adups version since 2014 as a backdoor agent, however they don't mention any specific version numbers and if this affects the version on our phones or not.
I think I'll just keep my Adups disabled (with the aforementioned "Debloater") for now. If Vernee publishes another Thor firmware update I'll either enable Adups again briefly for the OTA firmware update or install it manually. We'll see.

Would be great if there'd be an official statement of Vernee, but so far I think they haven't said anything.

Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

maryking Post time 2017-01-03 13:59:14 | Show all posts
I think it is spyware...check it out by all means!

Comments

and for more anti-spyware tools, please do check: http://www.passwordmanagers.net/ Thanks.  Details Reply Post time 2017-01-03 14:00
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

maryking Post time 2017-01-03 14:00:12 | Show all posts
maryking replied at 2017-01-03 13:59
I think it is spyware...check it out by all means!

and for more anti-spyware tools, please do check: http://www.passwordmanagers.net/
Thanks.
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

ЯazoR Post time 2017-01-24 16:55:00 | Show all posts
In case someone is interested in this but does not read the thread I originally posted to:
http://bbs.vernee.cc/forum.php?m ... 675&page=1#pid11891
Device:                  Apollo Lite
Custom build:       Apollo_Lite_20170118

Use magic Report

humble_thore Post time 2017-02-09 00:29:39 | Show all posts
Edited by humble_thore at 2017-02-09 00:45

Still no official answer by vernee? That′s embarrassing.

App-Info:

Wireless Update: Ver. 4.3.0.0.0
FotaProvider: Ver. 4.3.2

System:

base verion thor_20161008

(thor_20161021192956 not yet installed)

App used to control traffic:

NetGuard - no-root firewall ( https://play.google.com/store/ap ... code.netguard&hl=en ), even spent 10 bucks on that

I′ve controlled traffic for over 6 days. The good news first:

I haven′t found any connections mentioned in the Kryptowire Article ( http://www.kryptowire.com/adups_security_analysis.html ). So, no connection to 221.228.214.101 nor to 61.160.47.15.

But i′ve found other interesting stuff. For example my phone connects on a regular basis to 218.75.4.130. That′s an IP somewhere deep in China Mainland with almost 20 Domains pointing at it (strange names on that list, "hshh.org" or "dreamz.org", see https://www.robtex.com/ip-lookup/218.75.4.130 ; owner in whois hidden!?! ). The best thing: It′s connected by the Android System itself.

Concerning Adups: Adups seems not to be a trustworthy company (see https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cy ... -adups-old-and-new/ ), so my petition to vernee is, remove it completely! Just use an alternative software or just relinquish on that OTA-Firmware-Update stuff, local Update is just fine. And while you remove it, remove this as well please (on thor too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Jdfaf71-U
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules