[Copy link]
timiop2011 Post time 2016-11-28 05:33:04 | Show all posts |Read mode
VERNEE APOLLO LITE - MY FINAL REVIEW

A few months ago, I purchased a Vernee Apollo lite from TOMTOP - a seller I
do not recommend at all (read about why here). I purchased the Apollo Lite
as a gift for a friend, but it took so long to come (despite paying for
fast shipping), that I had to end up keeping it for myself. I have used
the handset myself for a few months in the UK on the O2 network and this
is my final thoughts on the Vernee Apollo Lite.

DISPLAY - 6/10 The FHD (1920x1080p) IGZO panel looks nice enough, and
gets fairly bright, until you put it next to any recent
iPhone (from the iPhone 5 onwards) or any recent Samsung Galaxy, where the Apollo lite
seems relatively dim. Blacks are ok but could be a lot blacker. You can clearly see the outline of
a dark gray display when the phone is powered off. Whites are average, with a slightly warm cream tint,
compared to the iPhone 6S.

I think most consumers would have paid a little more for a
more exciting screen topology, such as OLED or Super AMOLED (with an sRGB mode in
the settings menu of course for those who prefer to mimick the less oversaturated look
of a more common IPS LCD panel. On a positive note, I applaud Vernee for sticking to 1920x1080p resolution.
Anything above this is overkill, and significantly reduces battery life as well as
smoothness/performance. The only real advantage of a 4K panel would be for VR, and
that it something that is unlikely to appeal to the mass market as a significant KSP
for 5 to 10 years yet. So well done for sticking to FHD.

BUILD QUALITY - 2/10 Well... erm... all I can say on this is; either I recieved a
defective model, or quite simply the build quality of the Apollo Lite is bad... and I mean REALLY
terrible. OK, Yes, there is ONE good aspect to the build quality in the fact that
its design incorporates a metal unibody. However I found even this developed significant discolouration marks, which are very ugly (see attached photos).
I can only think these have been caused by sunlight. The metal itself is warm to the touch
and quite slippery, and a more aluminium-like shade of gray would have been nicer in my opinion.
On my Apollo lite the bottom half of the volume rocker has also been defective (jammed) ever since the phone arrived. Also, despite
having a tempered glass screen protector fitted, when I accidently dropped the handset from waist height
onto a tiled floor just weeks after buying the phone, the Apollo Lite Screen cracked all over
despite having Corning Gorilla Glass, and the rear camera lens also came out in one big piece
from the same drop! (making the camera pretty much unusable)

WIRELESS & CONNECTIVITY - 2/10

Again, wireless and connectivity has been a disappointment. The 4G worked initially until the first OTA update,
I have had no LTE connectivity since installing the OTA updates, despite the same sim cards providing
excellent coverage in all my other phones. I have tested EVERY possible network preference mode
(GSM, WCDMA, GSM (PRL), CDMA (PRL), EvDo, LTE, Unknown etc...) with both the Automatic and EURO radio bands,
making sure all bands are enabled each time in engineering mode. Yet 4G still does not connect.
WiFi is also terrible. I have to put the phone into Airplane mode every 20 minutes or so in order to reconnect
to WiFi, despite it showing a full strength connection at all times when connected. This is a particularly
bad issue when streaming HD videos. Bluetooth works OK, but there is no NFC so forget Android Pay. This seems a p
particular shame since there is a fingerprint reader, however that too is not the most accurate, only working
3 or 4 times out of 5 for me.

CAMERA - 3.5/10

You can get a decent enough shot in sunlight with a steady hand, where the autofocus works OK, but not the fastest.
However in low light, the camera becomes almost unusable. There is no EIS or OIS, and dynamic range
and video recording are not great. Vernee removed 4K video recording
mode with an OTA update, and they also lied about the aperture of the rear camera in their marketing,
claiming it to have an f stop of 2.0, when it is really aparantly 2.2 - a much more significant difference
than it might sound on paper in my opinion.

SOUND - 4/10

Again, disappointing. The model has average loudness for both speakers and earphones, with a single
tinny speaker at the bottom right. I found the speaker is easily covered or obscured by the hand during use
and disappointingly has no bass or subbass response at all.

BATTERY LIFE - 7/10

Easily the best aspect of the phone, getting through a full day with approx 25% to spare under medium to heavy use.
However the metal back of the phone gets VERY hot during charging with the fast charger, and on that not it doesn't ship with regional power adapters, so I guess a lot of us are using US travel adapters? I have also already noticed significant degredation of battery life (by about 20 minutes).

CONCLUSION & OVERALL SCORE = 4.5/10
It seems a real shame, because the Vernee models showed so much promise,
but they just cut too many corners, especially on the software side. Ultimately I was left with the choice of either buying another
Apollo lite, (for £175 upfront + £14 p/m for 24 months = £511 over 2 years) or getting a Google Pixel contract
(£125 Upfront + £24 per month = £701 over 2 years). With regret, it was a no brainer for me and I've ordered
the Pixel. I truly hope in 2 years time when my 24 month Pixel contract expires, Vernee will have made great strides and are able to offer
an amazing sub $350 phone which truly rivals the best smartphones on the market, rather than trying to build a $229 flagship killer.
It's just not possible at that price point.

Lastly, Just in case the R&D guys at Vernee are reading this (and just for a bit of fun), my ultimate Vernee Phone
in November 2018 would have the following (and I think I speak for the majority of consumers):

1) A Vernee Mars Style Design (the Apollo Lite Design should be ditched, as the Mars is much nicer looking)
2) Keep the Metal Unibody, but improve its composition and treatments, for better grip and a more premium feel
3) Dual front facing Stereo Speakers with a flatter frequency response, including a bass and subbass response, like current iPhones
4) A 1920×1080p (FHD) Super AMOLED Bezel-less Edge to Edge Display with a natural sRGB mode
5) A processor built on Samsung's 10nm FinFET manufacturing process (e.g. Snapdragon 835)
6) A leading 2017/18 camera module with a large pixel size (above 1.5μm), built in camera Gyroscope/OIS, improved PDAF and/or a hybrid system
using PDAF with Laser Autofocus, and other major software improvements such as predictive motion tracking and multi-axis EIS (like the current Sony Xperia XZ).
7) A dedicated Camera Button with "half-press focussing" that also functions as a silent/vibrate mode toggle when the camera app is not open.
8) Seperated up and down Volume buttons, with a textured power button (of benefit in the dark)
9) 120fps Slow Motion Video recording at 1080p
10) 4K Video Recording
11) Good Low Light Photography and Videography (as good as the current iPhone 7)
12) NFC Chip for Android Pay
13) Wireless Charging Support, and Fast Charging, without overheating
14) An accurate, fast, side mounted thumbprint reader (like the current Vernee Mars)
15) A stronger WiFi Antenna
16) Support for more TDD and FDD LTE Bands, for improved 3G and 4G Signal reception
17) IP certified dust and water resistances
18) Oleophobic and hydrophobic coated Gorilla Glass 5
19) Unaltered, Stock Android (Android 8?)
20) A premium Metal and Glass construction (100% Plastic-free)
21) Remove the "Model:" from the back of the Smartphone so it just says Vernee Mars, not Vernee Model: Mars
22) 6GB LPDDR4 RAM
23) A high quality DAC for High Resolution Music Playback (e.g. from Wolfson, Burr Brown, Asahi Kasei, or ESS)

I would hapilly pay $350 for a smartphone with these features. Perhaps the 'Vernee Mars Pro 2? when my Google Pixel Contract Expires in November 2018.

An awesome idea would be to base the Vernee Smartphone line on the Solar System, releasing
a new 'Planet' each year. Heck, you could even have a metal, glass or translucent enamel planet on the back of each model, in a similar way to Apple
have a metal Apple on the back of their phones. This idea could actually be implemented quite beatifully with careful thought over the use of light, colour,
and premium quality materials.

So I guess I look forward to buying my awesome Vernee Mars Pro 2, or Vernee Jupiter for $350 in November 2018, but for now I am afraid it's goodbye.

Quick navigation :
Report your problem of using vernee smartphone here
THOR BUG phone posts
TipsForum community will not offer after sale service . any after sale service request, please contact the reseller for immediate help .Thanks.

Use magic Report

Bend3ris Post time 2017-03-26 19:29:30 | Show all posts
Edited by Bend3ris at 2017-03-26 19:31

I will tell my opinion about your review. And don't forget that phone is very cheap, I paid 159$ for my new Apollo Lite.

DISPLAY - I would give 8/10 and nothing to comment more, it is not super AMOLED.

BUILD QUALITY - I say 9/10. Speaking about my Apollo Lit, everything is fine except sound button is a little bit shaky. No marks or other signs of bad quality. And yes, phone is very slippery , but did you hold Galaxy S7? Also very slippery, I do not see any problems here.

WIRELESS & CONNECTIVITY - 8/10 Wi-Fi works perfect for me. 4G connection is perfect in city, but when I am in town at my parents, it could be stronger.

CAMERA - 2/10 with the camera I agree 100%, it is terrible. In daylight I made alot nice shots, but in the evening...just terrible...

SOUND - 3/10 very bad sound speaker, it is kinda loud, but just it, no quality at all.

BATTERY LIFE - 9/10 well it holds all day for me. Quick charging works as they told, most of the time charging takes about 30-40minutes (I start charging in the evening with 20-30% of battery). While charging the back of the phone gets hot, I hope it won't explode someday

CONCLUSION & OVERALL SCORE I would give 8/10 ,as for the price I paid (paid 159$ for new Vernee Apollo Lite, I do not know where did you get £511) I am very happy with the phone, I expected that it will have some disadvantages because it cost so low. Normal price now is about 200$, but I bought in Aliexpress in some sale. Link here: http://got.by/yx2u7
Also it came in 8 days from China straight to me. European charger was included.

Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts
TipsForum community will not offer after sale service . any after sale service request, please contact the reseller for immediate help .Thanks.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

DRAGONFLY Post time 2017-03-27 00:28:11 | Show all posts

I agree with Bend3ris the connectivity I have is 4G and I never run out of network. The battery holds me 6h screen and if I get short with the quick charge helps a lot. The quality of manufacture is not very good because my buttons of volemen are not well set.

i bought it for 180$ on amazon 2 years warranty

Comments

I bought from Aliexpress so I think I do not have any warranty  Details Reply Post time 2017-03-27 14:11
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Bend3ris Post time 2017-03-27 14:11:30 | Show all posts
DRAGONFLY replied at 2017-03-27 00:28
I agree with Bend3ris the connectivity I have is 4G and I never run out of network. The battery ho ...

I bought from Aliexpress so I think I do not have any warranty
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

wall Post time 2017-03-27 15:57:22 | Show all posts
Edited by wall at 2017-03-28 02:27

My only complains about the build are indeed the shaky buttons and very weak vibrator. The speaker is not that bad just lacks bass when pushed too loud, the battery last an entire day easy and charges in about an hour, it does get pretty hot due to the alluminium case dissipating all the heat. The screen displays a redish/purplish tint when viewed from an angle but otherwise it's a good display and readable in sunlight, only 57Hz, and I love the coating on the glass it's very slippery and easy to clean. 4G works fine I rarely see it fallback to 3G, Wifi range is very good I have reception where most other devices fail to connect, 11n caps at 40Mbps/5MBs. GPS works very well, too, my compass is a few degrees off but acceptable. eMMC reads at 154MB/s and writes at 68MB/s. Voice quality is bad people have trouble hearing me clearly and it does not have a noise cancelling mic, I paid 146 Euros for it so it is within expectations, I'm only disappointed about the camera, if you focus on an object on the ground in bright sunlight the sky gets too overexposed, it's very hard to get a good picture indoors without direct sunlight it does not focus correctly and pictures get blurry like an oil painting, it is constantly trying to adjust the exposure in low light. Video recording is a joke, I don't have the option to record in 4k and the videos recorded in H.264 1080p or H.265 1088p are very compressed and need bright light to reach 30fps.
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Ricey155 Post time 2017-04-23 16:25:58 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
your comparing a top end flagship phone by a massive company #Google v Vernee  and expect similar levels of quality ? the phone is exactly what you would expect it works to a fashion and has zero backup ! sell cheap move on. buy cheap buy twice.
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Stankevitch Post time 2017-04-28 15:15:11 | Show all posts
Edited by Stankevitch at 2017-04-28 15:16

I bought a Vernee Apollo for £150 from Gearbest. And for the price its a great phone, only issue I've had is sometime the 3G/4G will just randomly disconnect for like 10 seconds then reconnect, U'm on 3 in the UK. Apart from that yes its not the highest quality 4K screen, Bose speakers or a DSLR camera, but its not focused on being an iPhone/Galaxy killer, its hit the sweet spot of performance of price in the midrange. Heck it uses a Helio X20, which isn't exactly Flagship but high-end mid-range, if there is such a thing.

Plus £511? Your phone isnt part of your contract you know as you didnt get it on any network.

If you want better, then why not just sell your Apollo to someone then go get the Pixel? I'm sure your network would let you upgrade to a better phone from sim-only...

Also, your dream phone is just that, a dream. If you want ALL those features you'll have to wait a while, or do what everyone with common sense does, and has to compromise on what features they need, rather what they want. I'd love IP68 but that would mean getting a different phone, maybe paying more and not getting as much...
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

Bend3ris Post time 2017-04-29 02:17:58 | Show all posts
You paid £150, well I paid 158$.
£150 = about 194$.

Maybe you bought from Europe warehouse? I bought from China.

As I told before - as for the price, it is really great phone.
Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

seanmiller Post time 2017-08-16 14:20:10 | Show all posts
A camera test is always good to do first.

Use magic Report

StephanD Post time 2017-08-19 17:13:50 | Show all posts
why are people constantly repeating the same false Vernee marketing lies ?

THIS PHONE DOES NOT HAVE A (CNC) METAL UNIBODY

there is only a very this iron sheet at the back, covered in "chinese plastic crap"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngh-ZIbjNzk
look at 0:26 ....

Quick navigation :
THOR BUG phone posts

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules